The Adroit Journal’s Summer Mentorship Program is a six-week online program that pairs established writers with high school students (including graduating seniors) and gap year students interested in learning more about the creative writing processes of drafting, redrafting, and editing.
The aim of the mentorship program is not formalized instruction, but rather an individualized, flexible, and often informal correspondence. Students will share weekly or biweekly work with mentors and peers.
Applicants should possess a firm work ethic and some familiarity with the writing and revision process. They should be comfortable with receiving (and giving) commentary and critique; and should be prompt and generous communicators. Applicants should also possess the will to explore and improve!
- Six weeks running from June to August
- $450 fee
- Students must be in grades 9-12 or have recently graduated high school.
- Students taking a gap year may apply.
Application or Entry Requirements
- Completed online application
- Two application essays- prompts vary year to year, about 500 words each
- Writing sample
- Optional academic transcript
- Optional additional information section
Notifications of Decisions
- April (via email)
Financial Aid Details
For applicants whom tuition will be a barrier- a fee remission and financial aid will be available. Need for financial assistance will be addressed entirely separately and will not be an influencing factor on mentorship admission decisions.