ARCC Gap Year programs offer an educational and cultural bridge between high school and college. They are an opportunity to live, work, learn and explore in some of the greatest classrooms on earth. Designed with a rich educational fabric complementing each and every location, they highlight regional issues that are directly linked to global challenges.
The East Africa gap year program explores the majesty, cultures, and challenges of three East African nations: Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. We take advantage of our unparalleled access and gain a unique education on this fascinating expanse of Africa. Shadowing a peer at Kenya’s first free all-female secondary school, we are inspired by the strength and passion of the next generation. Tromping through the equatorial rainforest with wildlife biologists, surveying habitat for endangered species, we witness the environmental struggle. Shadowing nurses in a rural health clinic in Tanzania, we gain a unique insight into access to health care for these Maasai communities. Building solar panels alongside local community members, we understand how important this renewable resource is for the families we are working with. Witnessing a family of elephants trek through the savanna of the Maasai Mara at sunrise, we experience one of life’s unforgettable moments. Never again will you look at education in quite the same way!
- East Africa: Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania
- September 1 – November 9
- $15,000 tuition
- Additional cost for international and in-country airfare
- ARCC Gap Year Programs are for students between 17-20 years old.
- It is not uncommon for students who have done one to three semesters in college to join ARCC on a Gap Semester.
Application or Entry Requirements
- In order to officially hold a place on a semester, students need to complete the online application and submit an $800 deposit. The application can be found on the website by clicking the red “Enroll Now” button. This will take you to an online application where you can also make the $800 deposit.
- After submitting the online application, ARCC will confirm the $800 deposit. This deposit is essential to holding the space. If ARCCC doesn’t have a deposit held by credit card or check, please don’t consider the space reserved.
- After submitting the application applicants will receive the detailed application and two – three required reference forms via email. This is the third step in the application process and these application materials must be completed within three weeks of your deposit.
Notifications of Decisions
Once the Gap Director has received all application forms, the Director will follow up to set up to schedule either a face-to-face or video interview. Within two weeks, applicants will be informed as of their acceptance into the ARCC Gap Year program.
Financial Aid Details
ARCC has set aside a pool of funds to be used to partially sponsor students who wish to participate in an ARCC Gap Semester, but are unable to cover the costs of the full tuition. The amount of financial aid granted to a student depends upon the family’s need, the tuition, and the number of students applying for financial aid. Aid amounts can go up to $6,000, but our average award is between $2,000 – $4,000.
Applications for financial aid are reviewed on a rolling basis. We recommend submitting your request as early as possible for a greater likelihood of aid.
Read more about financial aid here.