ARCC Gap Year programs offer an educational and cultural bridge between high school and college. They are an opportunity to live, work, learn and explore in some of the greatest classrooms on earth. Designed with a rich educational fabric complementing each and every location, they highlight regional issues that are directly linked to global challenges.
Explore the tropical paradise of the Hawaiian islands of O’ahu, Maui, and the Big Island, where white-sand beaches, turquoise waters, and tropical forest become our classroom. Building on nearly 40 years of Hawaiian programming and our long-standing partnerships with impactful local organizations, this unique semester allows us to investigate important environmental and social issues while immersing ourselves in the Aloha culture. Protect albatross nesting ground and restore a 400-year-old traditional fishpond in O’ahu. Explore marine ecosystems while earning your SCUBA certification on the island of Hawai’i. Investigate important food security issues and help with projects to ensure local sustainability. Learn about aquaponics and vermiculture on a college campus on Maui. Discover unbelievable beauty and culture while getting to know these famous islands like a local!
Please note that itinerary and order of islands is subject to change.
- Hawaii: Big Island, Maui, and Oahu
- Fall: September 1 – November 9
- Spring: February 15 – April 25
- $15,000 tuition
- Airfare for inter-island flights is not included
- ARCC Gap Year Programs are for students between 17-20 years old.
- It is not uncommon for students who have done one to three semesters in college to join ARCC on a Gap Semester.
Application or Entry Requirements
- In order to officially hold a place on a semester, students need to complete the online application and submit an $800 deposit. The application can be found on the website by clicking the red “Enroll Now” button. This will take you to an online application where you can also make the $800 deposit.
- After submitting the online application, ARCC will confirm the $800 deposit. This deposit is essential to holding the space. If ARCCC doesn’t have a deposit held by credit card or check, please don’t consider the space reserved.
- After submitting the application applicants will receive the detailed application and two – three required reference forms via email. This is the third step in the application process and these application materials must be completed within three weeks of your deposit.
Notifications of Decisions
Once the Gap Director has received all application forms, the Director will follow up to set up to schedule either a face-to-face or video interview. Within two weeks, applicants will be informed as of their acceptance into the ARCC Gap Year program.
Financial Aid Details
RCC has set aside a pool of funds to be used to partially sponsor students who wish to participate in an ARCC Gap Semester, but are unable to cover the costs of the full tuition. The amount of financial aid granted to a student depends upon the family’s need, the tuition, and the number of students applying for financial aid. Aid amounts can go up to $6,000, but our average award is between $2,000 – $4,000.
Applications for financial aid are reviewed on a rolling basis. We recommend submitting your request as early as possible for a greater likelihood of aid.
Read more about financial aid here.