ARCC Gap Year programs offer an educational and cultural bridge between high school and college. They are an opportunity to live, work, learn and explore in some of the greatest classrooms on earth. Designed with a rich educational fabric complementing each and every location, they highlight regional issues that are directly linked to global challenges.
Leave the traditional classroom far behind, as we journey to the heart of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. Our Asia Gap Semester Program is a unique blend of education, hands-on work projects, and exploration of these intriguing and ancient cultures. Our exclusive access to people and places, developed over decades, gives us a window into aspects of Southeast Asia rarely experienced by outsiders. In Vietnam, we work with youth affected by Agent Orange both in the classroom and in their daily activities. We explore the bustling and historic city of Hanoi as well as the tranquility and natural beauty of the rural provinces. While exploring Cambodia’s urban centers, we learn about efforts to combat human trafficking and how education and income-generating opportunities have helped vulnerable populations. We are a part of the change when we get our hands dirty building and installing bio-sand filters for families in rural villages outside Siem Reap. We partner with local conservationists at a Thai Elephant Rehabilitation Center deep in the jungle to understand the true value of conservation as we care for Thailand’s indigenous elephants. Standing knee-deep in rice paddies with our host families, we discover a way of life that has remained virtually unchanged. Together, we discover the many lessons this fascinating corner of the world can teach us.
- Southeast Asia: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia
- Fall: September – November
- Spring: February – April
- $14,500 tuition
- Additional cost for international and in-country airfare
- ARCC Gap Year Programs are for students between 17-20 years old.
- It is not uncommon for students who have done one to three semesters in college to join ARCC on a Gap Semester.
Application or Entry Requirements
- In order to officially hold a place on a semester, students need to complete the online application and submit an $800 deposit. The application can be found on the website by clicking the red “Enroll Now” button. This will take you to an online application where you can also make the $800 deposit.
- After submitting the online application, ARCC will confirm the $800 deposit. This deposit is essential to holding the space. If ARCCC doesn’t have a deposit held by credit card or check, please don’t consider the space reserved.
- After submitting the application applicants will receive the detailed application and two – three required reference forms via email. This is the third step in the application process and these application materials must be completed within three weeks of your deposit.
Notifications of Decisions
Once the Gap Director has received all application forms, the Director will follow up to set up to schedule either a face-to-face or video interview. Within two weeks, applicants will be informed as of their acceptance into the ARCC Gap Year program.
Financial Aid Details
ARCC has set aside a pool of funds to be used to partially sponsor students who wish to participate in an ARCC Gap Semester, but are unable to cover the costs of the full tuition. The amount of financial aid granted to a student depends upon the family’s need, the tuition, and the number of students applying for financial aid. Aid amounts can go up to $6,000, but our average award is between $2,000 – $4,000.
Applications for financial aid are reviewed on a rolling basis. We recommend submitting your request as early as possible for a greater likelihood of aid.
Read more about financial aid here.