Interns discover Asian art and cultural traditions, learn from local artists and arts organizations, engage in social justice and youth activism, conduct informational interviews with museum staff to explore careers in the arts, and develop their leadership skills by creating and facilitating hands-on art activities.
What you will do at the museum:
- Discover the art and cultural traditions of Asia and learn about special exhibitions and the museum collection
- Create hands-on art activities and other materials for learning about art and culture
- Develop art activities and produce video tutorials for family public programs and the Art Speak Instagram
- Learn about the Bay Area arts scene and workshop with local artists
- Engage in and learn about social justice and activism through informational and art-based workshops
- Meet with like-minded teens working in the arts across the country
- Meet with museum staff and learn about collaboration and management of a mid-size art museum
- Use social media to build an online audience presence and generate interest in the museum’s programs
- Asian Art Museum, San Francisco, California
- A 10-month period running mostly during the academic year from August through May
- Six to eight hours each week on Thursdays and weekends
- Interns receive bi-monthly paychecks and school credit
- Applicants must be Bay Area public high school students in good standing in grade 10, 11, or 12.
- Applicants should be “artistic, responsible, self-motivated, enthusiastic teens excited about working in a creative field.”
- Applicants should be individuals eager to share their artistic skills by teaching museum visitors
- Youth who are comfortable engaging with fellow interns, staff, artists, and visitors
- Students who can commit to working six to eight hours a week virtually and in person.
- Students must be able to commit to working six to eight hours a week and/or weekend both virtually and in-person at the Asian Art Museum during the 10-month session.
Application or Entry Requirements
- Completion of online application form
- Cover letter
Notifications of Decisions
Financial Aid Details
Other Dates to Keep in Mind
- Late June: Invitations for virtual interviews will be sent out
- Late June and early July: Interviews are held